Friday, August 6, 2010

Another Swap

This is the mini I sent out for the July MiniQT swap.  It’s around 12" square.  The theme challenge was underwater/beach. 

I’ve written before about how I grew up in New Jersey and loved the shore.  Particularly at night.  On the pier, it was all noise and light.  But step down onto the beach and all that was behind me and it was just incredibly beautiful – the stars, the ocean with the froth of waves.  I loved it – moving from the human crowded pier to the suddenly immense sense of the cosmic. 

It’s hard to tell from the photo but the stars are crystals and the foam of the waves is bits of lace.  I really liked how this one came out.  It’s a bit simple (I hope not too simple for my swap partner) but, for me, that fits the memories I have – this sense of everything being suddenly stripped down and very big and deep at the same time. 

My husband really likes this one, too.  He’s requested a version to put up at his work, so I see another little mini in my immediate future!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice indeed! I like the beach too, don't get to go nowadays and I don't think I've ever been there at night. I can see why your husband wants such a peaceful scene for his office.

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete