Thursday, September 30, 2010

Swap Happy

Just a few more blocks made up for swaps.  For Bee Pieceful, the theme was the 6o’s.  So, first, a bit of Woodstock.

And a peace sign.  I have to say, the peace sign looked just fine before I satin stitched it.  Something went wonky there.  So, I’m imagining this peace sign was designed by someone at Woodstock who had been sampling the electric koolaid.

It was fun to revisit the 60’s.  I lived through them but was too young to participate in any of the exuberance.  I do remember lava lamps though – remember when every dentist’s office in the country had one in the waiting room?  Was anyone ever really soothed by this?

And, for Bee Obsessed, the theme was to make traditional 12" blocks in shades of brown and cream, keeping in mind the quilt is being made for a husband.  So.  Manly, manly it is.  What can be more manly than pine cones and tree bark, says I?

And, well, trees and stars.  About the tin ceiling fabric: I see it like this.  There’s the manly mountain man who has been deep in the Rockies.  But, every so often the call of civilization is heard and so it’s time for a night at the Leadville Opera House, where he, of course, looks up and admires the tin ceiling.  (Did the Leadville Opera House have a tin ceiling? )

This is what I know: it’s always all about the story. 

Anyway, I do love making blocks in shades of brown.  Perhaps because brown seemed to be my mother’s favorite color.  Perhaps I just love it in my own right.  I love how shades of brown put together can be so soft and subtle.  Some quilters find brown boring.  I guess I can understand that (sort of).  I just find it rich and full of texture.  There may need to be some little brown quilts in my future – clearly I’m a hankering.

2 comments:

  1. Groovy!

    Like the brown. Very restful.

    However I'm dying to add at least a tiny bit of turquoise and lime!

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the 60's...I did get into it a bit. I was a pianist, and went to Greenwich Village a lot. It was an incredible time, music wise.
    I love your blocks and I also love browns and want to make a quilt in pinks and browns.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete