Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Challenge Begins

Well, I had just been thinking that one of my intentions for the new year might be to make up some more miniature quilts when I came across this challenge from Persimon Dreams.  A square in a square quilt?  Oh, yeah.  There’s a good reason to pull out Miniatures in Minutes

So, first, I opened up EQ and designed a mini using the Courthouse Steps foundation.  Just for fun, here’s a view of my first tinkerings:

1 EQ7 courthouse steps image

And I like that.  But what I love about playing in EQ is how I never know where I’m going to end up.  It more often than not doesn’t look anything at all like where I began.  Case in point, here’s the quilt design I ended up with:

1 EQ7 courthouse steps image 2

I really liked the soft colors on the second version.  Plus I really liked the more modern vibe of the scattered colors.  So, here’s the very start: first patches on the foundation.

For those who know my technique, you know that I typically mark on the foundation what patches go where.  Given how the coloring on this is so random, I decided it would be easier to just lay them out round by round.  So this is a picture of the final round of “logs” in the order they’ll be added to the foundation.

Here’s where I’m currently at (I had to stop to go accomplish other things – it’s so annoying how life can interfere with quilting!).  To help keep myself on track, I crossed out each round as I finished it.

I am loving how this is coming out.  Exactly as I imagined it!

And, for the record, that’s not the only mini quilting I’ve been up to.  I have another new year mini in process as well.  A good friend that I met through my Miniatures in Minutes classes came up with the idea for a mini bargello.  She figured out all the dimensions.  I drew the foundation.  What a great, great design! 

I’ll show her (totally wow) versions at a later date, but here’s mine in process.  She’s got a winter and a fall themed bargello, so we decided my task was to do summer.  What a great excuse to pull out some of my beloved Ricky Tims hand-dyes!

Here it is, in process: all the patches added but the rows still needing to be sewn together.

I’m in love with that, too.  I’m hoping that with both of these I can free motion something cool in the borders.  We’ll see . . . I’ve only got through Sunday to finish up the square in a square if I’m going to meet the challenge deadline.  (Well, it certainly helps that school is still out!)

5 comments:

  1. I want to make more minis too, but what do you do with them? the last one I made, I made for my daughters baby car seat, but what else? I LOVE EQ!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I love about miniatures is just how versatile they are! I put them on the wall, for one. I love how easy they are to swap out and I can really cycle through display. My other favorite way to use them is on bags. They make great outer pockets, for instance. I'll do up a blog sometime this coming week that shows a couple of the bags I've made up using them. They are also great on fabric baskets and mug rugs.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. What neat minis, EQ is so much fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete